Jack Jones painting of the Peabody Institute Library, Danvers
  Home  |   Site Index  |   Administration
  Administration  ~  
Outline History of the Library   

Peabody Institute Library of Danvers
  Outline of History

1852 George Peabody donated funds for the establishment of the
         Peabody Institute in the South Parish (now Peabody).

1856 Mr. Peabody gave $10,000 to establish the "Branch Library" at Danvers Plains.

1857 Town of Danvers offered use of two rooms in the 2nd story of Town Hall.

1866 Town Meeting accepted gift of $40,000 from Mr. Peabody to build the Institute.

1869 First building dedicated. Mr. Peabody donated an additional $45,000.

1890 Building destroyed by fire.

1892 Present building dedicated.

1940 Town assumed cost of salaries.

1958 Town provided funds for books.

1963 Interior remodeled.

1982 Major renovation and expansion completed.

1992 Library trustees honor 100th anniversary of present building.

Last updated: June 4, 2007