Online Research Resources and Databases
New Database! AtoZdatabases
and Marketing Database including 30 million business profiles& 220 million residents. Ideal for sales leads, mailing lists, market research, employment opportunities, finding friends & relatives and much more
Click here for our collection of resources for Job Seekers
Select a database from one or more of the categories above. If you are using these resources from your home computer, you may be asked to input your 14 digit barcode of your library card and last name (when prompted) to begin searching. These resources provide access to thousands of full-text and abstracted articles in periodicals, health and business resources, biographical and literary databases. For tips on searching databases click here
Need a library card?
Stop by the Circulation Desk to obtain the "smartest card" for your wallet!
- AtoZdatabases - Premier Reference and Marketing Database including 30 million business profiles & 220 million residents. Ideal for sales leads, mailing lists, market research, employment opportunities, finding friends & relatives and much more
EBSCO: Business Source Premier - Full text for more than 2,300 journals, including full text for more than 1,100 peer-reviewed titles. Includes all disciplines of business, including marketing, management, MIS, POM, accounting, finance and economics.
Try the Enhanced Business Searching Interface
INFOTRAC: Business and Company Resource Center
- INFOTRAC:General Business File ASAP - Analyze company performance and activity, industry events and trends as well as the latest in management, economics and politics.
- INFOTRAC: RDS Business Suite a collection of three highly complementary business information databases - Business & Industry, Business & Management Practices, and TableBase.
Use B&I when you want to find company, industry, market and product information.Use BaMP when you want content that emphasizes the practical side of business and management including case studies and "how-to" guidelines.
Use TableBase to find tabular information to access strategically oriented business information in tabular format.
- NOODLETOOLS: Citation Builder ~ the leading bibliography software on the Internet, so easy to use, supports most styles of citation: MLA & APA. Remote access for Danvers residents requires a user name and password. Please contact the Reference desk for assistance.
- ebrary's Public Library Complete - A growing collection of nearly 21,000 full-text e-books from leading publishers such as Random House, Penguin, The McGraw-Hill Companies, and Taylor & Francis in multiple subject areas for schools & studying, career development, fiction, practical life skills, arts & leisure, and more.
- INFOTRAC: Gale Virtual Reference Collection - Database of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research.
- Overdrive - As part of the OverDrive downloadable collection provided by the NOBLE network, you can access a selection of fiction and nonfiction e-books and audiobooks through our digital collection.
EBSCO: Academic Search Elite - Full text for more than 2,000 journals, including more than 1,500 peer-reviewed titles. This multi-disciplinary database covers virtually every area of academic study. More than 100 journals have PDF images back to 1985.
INFOTRAC: Academic OneFile
INFOTRAC: Expanded Academic ASAP - Access scholarly journals, news magazines, and newspapers (many with full text and images!) across all academic disciplines.
- INFOTRAC: Gale Opposing Viewpoints in Context
INFOTRAC: Student Edition - Designed for high-school students, database accesses a variety of indexed and full-text magazines, newspapers and reference books for information on current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, people, government, history, sports and more.
INFOTRAC: Junior Edition [K - Gr. 12] - Designed for students in junior high and middle school with access to a variety of indexed and full-text magazines, newspapers and reference books for information on current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, people, government, history, sports & more.
INFOTRAC: Kids InfoBits [ K - Gr.5] - Especially for beginning researchers in Kindergarten through Grade 5.
EBSCO: Middle Search Plus - Full text for 140 popular magazines for middle and jr. high school research. Also contains 84,774 biographies, 100,554 primary source documents, and an Image Collection of 235,186 photos, maps and flags.
EBSCO: Primary Search - Full text for nearly 70 popular, magazines for elementary school research. Full text information dates as far back as 1990 and are assigned a reading level indicator (Lexiles).
EBSCO: Professional Development Collection - Highly specialized collection of 520 high quality education journals, including nearly 350 peer-reviewed titles. This database also contains more than 200 educational reports.
INFOTRAC: Educator's Reference Complete - Full text periodicals for teachers and school administrators.
EBSCO: ERIC - Educational Resource Information Center, contains more than 2,200 digests along with references for additional information and citations and abstracts from over 1,000 educational and education-related journals.
Ancestry.com - Instant access to a wide range of unique resources for genealogical and historical researchincluding 4 billion names in over 3,400 databases; includes records from the United States census; military records; court, land, and probate records; vital and church records; directories; passenger lists, and more.
"In-library" use only. How to use
- Heritage Quest - Includes the digitized UMI Genealogy & Local History Collection, 1790-1930 U.S. Federal Census, the Periodical Source Index (PERSI), and the Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Application Files. How to use
- NEHGS (New England Historic Genealogical Society) Resources -
"In-library" use only.
EBSCO: MasterFILE Premier - Magazine and newspaper articles, full text reference books, primary source documents and images.
- INFOTRAC: Infotrac OneFile - One-stop source for news and periodical articles on a wide range of topics.
INFOTRAC: General Reference Center Gold - Latest current events, popular culture, business and industry coverage, arts & sciences, sports & hobbies.
eLibrary - Information from books, magazines and newspapers that includes maps, images, radio and television transcripts.
INFOTRAC: Health and Wellness Resource Center
- INFOTRAC: Health Reference Center Academic - Integrates the full text and images of respected nursing, allied health and medical journals, consumer health magazines, newsletters, pamphlets, newspaper articles, topical overviews, and reference books.
EBSCO: Health Source: Consumer Edition - Information on many health topics including the medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare, sports medicine and general health.
EBSCO: Health Source: Nursing / Academic Edition - 550 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines along with abstracts and indexing for nearly 850 journals.
EBSCO: MEDLINE - Authoritative medical information on medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences, and much more created by the National Library of Medicine.
- Salem Press:Magill's Medical Guide 6th ed. - an authoritative reference source that helps bridge the gap between medical encyclopedias for professionals and popular self-help guides. It is an up-to-date and easy-to-use compendium of medical information suitable for student research as well as use by general readers, including patients and caregivers.
- From Salem Press
Great Events from History:
20th Century, 1971-2000
Great Lives from History:
- Access to law journal articles, Federal Register, treaties, Statutes at Large and US Supreme Court Opinions from Hein Online is available in the library courtesy of the Massachusetts Trial Court Law Libraries.
Please see a Reference Librarian for access.
- Danvers Herald:
8/4/2005 to current:
Find full-text articles on local news, issues, events, people and much
more from current and archived issues of the Danvers Herald. Updated
daily, it includes obituaries, editorials, announcements and other
- ProQuest CSA: Massachusetts Newsstand includes:
Click to search all of the Massachusetts Newstand
or below for individual newspapers:
Berkshire Eagle 2005 to current
Boston Globe 1980 to current
Boston Herald 1991 to current
Business West (Chicopee) 1992 to current
North Adams Transcript 2005 to current
Patriot Ledger(Quincy) 1991 to current
Plymouth County Business Review 1991 to current
Sentinel & Enterprise(Fitchburg) 2005 to current
Sun, The (Lowell) 2004 to current
Telegram & Gazette(Worcester) 1989 to current
Gazette(Haverhill, Mass.) 12-31-92 to 8-9-97
Standard Times(New Bedford) 1-4-92 to 8-19-97 in library * at home
- INFOTRAC: New York Times 1995+
- EBSCO: Newspaper Source - Selected full text for 25 national (U.S.) and international newspapers. It also contains full text television & radio news transcripts, and selected full text for more than 260 regional (U.S.) newspapers.
- Proquest: Historical Boston Globe, 1872-1979 - Digital archive with access to the full content of the historical Boston Globe. You may search and view article & full page images, page through issues and search using a variety of methods.
- America's Obituaries and Death Notices -The largest and most comprehensive collection of newspaper obituaries and death notices. Extensive editorial review of all newspaper sections ensures thorough selection of obituaries for easy access. An easy-to-use interface allows searching by name, date range, or text such as institutional name, social affiliation(s), geographic location(s), philanthropic activities, etc.
Oxford Digital Reference Shelf
We have added fifteen reference titles created from Oxford's award-winning print scholarly reference sets. These e-reference resources are fully searchable with remote access available anytime, anywhere.When using these resources from home, you will be asked for your library card number and last name.
- EBSCO: NovelistPlus - The perfect tool for finding fabulous fiction and non-fiction: reviews, read-a-likes and more.
- INFOTRAC: Books and Authors offers new ways to explore the endless possibilities and combinations of books, authors, genres and topics including the award-winning What Do I Read Next? collection, patrons and students alike can be sure that their next big read comes with a BIG recommendation.
INFOTRAC: Contemporary Literary Criticism Select - More than 11,000 critical essays on contemporary authors. Allows users to search by author name, title of work, nationality, subject/genre, ethnicity, critic name, and more.
- INFOTRAC: Literature Resource Center
- INFOTRAC: LitFinder
OCLC WorldCat - Cooperative database of bibliographic records contributed by more than 57,000 libraries, making it the world’s largest, most complete, and most consulted library catalog.
Super Searches/BPL Electronic Resources
- INFOTRAC: Powersearch - Use this link to search across databases.
- EBSCO: Super Search - Use this link to search multiple databases.
- BPL ecards - Visit the Boston Public Library website to apply for an ecard for immediate home access to over 140 BPL databases.
- LearningExpressLibrary - A comprehensive, interactive online learning platform of practice tests and tutorial course series designed to help patrons succeed
on academic or licensing tests.