Reference Service Procedure
Interlibrary Loan Policy
Internet and Computers
Unattended Children/Adults in Need
Long Range Plan
Peabody Park & Pavilion
The building was dedicated on October 19, 1892; the library functioned on the first floor and the 1,100 capacity auditorium occupied the upper level. The auditorium served many town uses including lecture series, graduations, and theater and minstrel productions.
In 1963, a remodeled basement area was dedicated for use as a Children’s Room and as stacks; in 1980, following over a decade of discussion, a renovation and addition based on the plans of architect Oscar Padgen and costing $2.2 million was approved by Town Meeting. General contractor for the project was Congress Construction Company. 6,000 additional square feet were created by the construction of a new floor in the space occupied by the former auditorium and 12,000 square feet were added through underground construction. The latter expansion provided space for a new Children’s Room and the Archival Center.
The renovation project design called for the retention of the exterior character of the library and sympathetically treated many original interior features. The Georgian Revival building is a rectangular construction which has a low truncated hipped roof with a surrounding balustrade. The foundation is granite and the siding is flush boards. The first story exhibits alternating wood quoins and two oculus windows. The Sylvan St. facade contains a balconial entry portico, now enclosed as a reading area, while the two side facades contain two story elliptical porticos with second floor Ionic support columns. The second floor has much ornamentation including Palladian windows with fanlight and tracery, arched windows with swags, Ionic pilasters and columns, and roof modillion blocks.