Kourabiedes contributed by Sarah
My family is Greek and so I thought that I’d share one of my favorite recipes that my YiaYia used to make and what I’ll be making for Greek Easter on the 19th! I’ll be serving Greek Meatballs with Tzatziki Sauce with a side of Greek Potatoes and Spanikopita. For dessert I’ll be making Kourabiedes which are Greek shortbread cookies flavored with almond and clove or as my Dad calls them, death cookies because if you inhale the powdered sugar you start to choke!
- 1 lb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar, plus 1 cup for coating
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Beat the butter in the bottom of a stand mixer on medium high for 20 minutes. Add egg and almond extract, mix until combined.
- Sift 1/2 c. powdered sugar, baking soda, flour, and salt in a large bowl. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients a little at a time until incorporated.
- Roll 2 tbsp of dough into crescents and place on a lined baking sheet. Press a clove into the center of each one and bake for 15-20 minutes until pale brown.
- Let cool slightly and then toss in powdered sugar.