Sauteed Radishes with Bacon* contributed by Angelina
1 slice bacon, chopped fine
8 ounces radishes, trimmed and halved if small or quartered if large
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon minced fresh chives, parsley, or scallions
Spoonful of hummus
1. Cook bacon in an 8 or 10 inch skillet over medium heat until crispy (about 5-7 minutes) Then transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
2. Pour off all but 1 teaspoon fat from the skillet (if necessary, add oil to equal 1 teaspoon.)
3. Add radishes, salt and pepper, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until radishes are lightly browned and crisp-tender (about 12-16 minutes.)
4. Stir in garlic and vinegar and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds)
5. Off heat, stir in chives, season with salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle with bacon.
6. Serve with a spoonful of hummus and pita bread on the side.
(Radishes can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.)
*Make it Vegetarian: Omit the bacon and add oil to the skillet in place of the bacon fat.